Auchinleck Talbot v Kilwinning Rangers



Auchinleck Talbot 2 Kilwinning Rangers 0 (H-T 2-0)

Talbot started this quarter-final on fire, getting off to a flying start from which Kilwinning never really recovered.
Prior to kick off it was a rowdy element of the travelling support who’d made all the noise but they were momentarily silenced as Talbot took the lead within the 1st minute.
Lyle was fouled out on the touchline by Boylan & Pope whipped an in swinging free kick into the 6-yard area where GRAHAM WILSON glanced a header home.
The Bot might have doubled their lead in the 5th minute. G Wilson’s chip sent Young clean through on the left. He could have shot but opted instead to square the ball across for Milliken but he was challenged by Kerr as he went to stroke it home.
Talbot kept the pressure on & threatened the Buffs goal again in the 8th minute. Pope slid a free kick through to Young on the left edge of the penalty area. He flighted a cross into the centre which Hyslop headed for goal, but unluckily for him it deflected up off a defender & Strain tipped it over the bar.
The Buffs first chance came in the 10th minute when they won a corner on the left. McCloskey pulled the corner back to the edge of the area to find Swift in space & his low drive was heading on target until blocked in the 6-yard box.
Talbot’s 2nd goal arrived in the 17th minute & it was a fine solo effort. Young’s pass found STEVEN WILSON on the left wing; he still had a lot to do but carried it forward before cutting into the penalty area past Swift & coolly drilled a low shot past Strain to put Talbot 2-0 ahead.
Kilwinning now made a change with Coleman on for Maitland.
Leishman had been a bystander to this point but was called into action in the 23rd minute. A shy from the right found Hogg at the bye line & he turned the ball back into the path of McGuinness. He drilled a low shot on target that Leishman smothered at the 2nd attempt.
A 3rd goal would have killed the tie off & it very nearly arrived in the 24th minute. Milliken swung a cross over from the left that the Buffs central defence made a meal of. Two players went to clear & only succeeded in getting each other’s way & directing a weak clearance straight to Young 15 yards out. He arrowed the ball on target but was denied by a wonder save from Strain low to his right. The ball rebounded up to G Wilson who looked a certainty but Strain scrambled up to block his 1st effort & when it came back to him Wilson rattled a shot off the right post from point blank range.
The Buffs defence were all at sea & Talbot’ next attack saw Young get in behind down the left before firing the ball across the face of goal but unfortunately there were no Bot players to turn it home.
Having survived by the skin of their teeth the Buffs threatened to pull a goal back in the 38th minute. Pope conceded a free kick wide on the right which McGuinness slung towards the back post. Leishman climbed highest in a crowd of players to tip it over the bar. The resultant corner was cleared but Kilwinning kept up the pressure & when a deep cross came over from the left it found Hogg who cushioned a header back across goal. It came to Kerr with his back to goal & he wheeled round & fired a shot just past the right post.
Kilwinning finished the half on the front foot but without looking like threatening Leishman’s goal & the Bot went in 2-0 ahead at the interval.
The 2nd half was barely a minute old when Milliken picked up a caution for persistent fouling.
The Buffs defence looked susceptible at set pieces & they were nearly undone again in the 49th minute when Pope lifted a free kick into the area. Harvey climbed to head it for goal & Hyslop threw himself at it but could only direct his header wide of target.
Kilwinning made their 2nd change after 51 minutes with ex-Bot player Cashmore coming on for Hogg.
A minute later Frye received his customary caution for a foul as Talbot tried to break up field.
The Buffs were forced into a further change in the 54th minute when Kerr went down inside his own half & had to limp off to be replaced by Fleeting.
Tucker made his 1st change soon after with Shankland coming on for Graham Wilson.
Strain prevented Talbot extending their lead in the 64th minute. Milliken switched play out to the right to find Hyslop in space inside the area. His cross was a tad over hit but Milliken did well to retrieve it & whipped the ball over to the back post where Hyslop’s header looked to be heading into the roof of the net until Strain touched it over the bar.
Two minutes later Talbot had another good chance. Milliken pounced on a mistake inside the Buffs half & threaded the ball through to Young inside the area. He chose not to shoot & angled it across the face of goal toward Shankland who fired it into the side netting from a tight angle.
Talbot nearly added a 3rd in the 71st minute. Shankland lifted a corner to the far post where Harvey powered a header on target which Strain tipped over the crossbar.
Two minutes later Shankland’s ball sent Milliken racing free on the left. He surged into the area & fired a shot on goal that Strain blocked inside the near post.
Tucker now made a further change with Latta on in place of White.
Lyle picked up a caution in the 77th minute for a foul on Cashmore.
The closing stages saw Talbot comfortably see the game out with the Buffs unable to breach Talbot’s defence. Frustration got the better of Cashmore in injury time as he clipped Milliken late to receive a yellow card.
This was a thoroughly deserved win for Talbot who could easily have racked up a few more goals whilst never looking like conceding at the other end. Next up for Talbot is a crucial league clash as with Rob Roy as the Bot look to cut the gap at the top.

Talbot – Leishman, Lyle, Pope, Harvey, McGoldrick, White, Young, S Wilson, G Wilson, Milliken, Hyslop

Subs – Shankland, Pooler, Latta, Stevenson, McPherson

Kilwinning – Strain, Maitland, McCloskey, Kerr, Swift, Hanvey, Frye, McGuinness, Hogg, Lewis, Boylan

Subs – Fleeting, Cashmore, Coleman, Burns



Date Time Competition Season
March 18, 2017 14:30 SCOTTISH JUNIOR CUP 2016/17


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot202
Kilwinning Rangers000

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
14Mark Shankland 9Forward0000
9Graham Wilson 14Forward1000
 Total 1000

Kilwinning Rangers

Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK

League Table