Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock Juniors




Talbot rediscovered their form and it was demolition derby time again at Beechwood as Talbot thumped Cumnock 4-0.

The Bot got off to a slightly nervy start and a defensive mix-up in the 6th minute saw Stafford attempt to head a long ball back into his own area but Leishman had come well out his goal and Stafford had to be quick on his toes to chase down his own header and hook it clear. The ball came out to Dolan on the left and he swung a cross beyond the far post where Boyd directed a tame header at Leishman.

Cumnock were slightly edging it, without offering any real threat, but the game changed Talbot’s way when they took the lead after 18 minutes. Crawford burst forward up the right, past Frye who tried & failed to foul him, before sliding the ball across the box where ROSS SMITH tucked it beyond Barclay from 8 yards.

In the 23rd minute Talbot conceded a free kick just wide of the penalty area after Crawford caught Dolan. McLaughlin took it and went for goal but ballooned his shot well over the bar.

Talbot threatened a 2nd in the 34th minute. Smith skinned Sewell twice in quick succession as he jinked in off the left before firing a low drive on target that Barclay’s legs kept out.

Four minutes later Talbot had a half chance due to hesitancy in the Nock defence. They failed to deal with Crawford’s high ball down the centre and when Samson pressured them in the air the ball broke loose in the area but Mason didn’t react quickly enough to get on the end of it.

Cumnock had a chance to punish Talbot in the 41st minute when Wilson’s clearance was charged down and spun to Rose. He fed it on to the overlapping Sewell but his final ball into the near post was easily dealt with by Leishman and Talbot saw the half out to go in a goal ahead.

There was a change at the interval with Lennox making way for Wardrope in midfield.

Talbot had a great chance to double their lead only 4 minutes after the re-start. Crawford’s angled pass found Smith on the left of the area and when he was tripped the ref pointed straight to the spot. Samson took the spot kick but suffice to say it wasn’t one of his better efforts and Barclay made a comfortable save.

Fortunately Talbot’s heads didn’t go down following the miss and they kept on the front foot.

In the 51st minute Wilson drilled a good ball in from the left to find Mason in the area and his side-footed effort was blocked.

Two minutes later Boyle swung a dangerous cross over from the right to the back post but there were no takers to turn it home.

The Bot were well on top now and following a passage of possession football Boyle slid a good ball through the centre of the Nock defence that Sewell managed to intercept and clear.

On the hour mark Cumnock made a change with Carnwath on for Dolan.

Smith was having a good evening and Talbot’s next attack saw him dribble his way past a couple of defenders down the left of the area only to see his final ball back across goal cut out.

In the 68th minute Armstrong won it in midfield and slid a pass out to his right to find Samson who carried on into the box and tried to slide a low shot past Barclay who saved low to his right.

Talbot made a second change in the 69th minute when Taylor came on in place of Mason.

Cumnock had offered very little since half-time but they did have a promising attack in the 71st minute. Carnwath got free down the right and drilled a low ball across the 6-yard area which Crawford managed to clear.

A minute later Talbot were back on the attack. Taylor’s cross found Wardrope on the left and he in turn fed it to Smith whose ball across goal just went behind the Bot players waiting in the centre.

In the 72nd minute Taylor picked up a yellow card for simulation when he tumbled inside the Nock penalty area.

With 11 minutes remaining Cumnock made a further change with McLean coming on for Wilson.

In the 82nd minute Talbot made sure of the points with their 2nd of the evening. Smith swept a ball in from the left that found ROSS TAYLOR and he cut inside his man before placing a left foot shot inside the right post.

Talbot now made a further change with Ballantyne on for Wilson.

Three minutes from time Talbot had a chance to extend their lead. Samson was sent through on the right and paced into the area but his low drive couldn’t beat Barclay.

With fog descending and thickening by the second the closing stages saw visibility reduced to the level of guesswork.

In the 90th minute Ballantyne lifted a cross over from the left and KIER SAMSON rose to head it inside the right post to make it 3-0 to Talbot.

Deep into added time Talbot added a fourth as ROSS SMITH raced through and placed a low drive beyond Barclay to make it 4-0.

A very good win for Talbot that sees them climb back above Clydebank in the table. Next up for Talbot it’s the first of a double header against Arthurlie as they travel to Barrhead on Wednesday evening before the Lie come through to Beechwood this Saturday.

Auchinleck Talbot – Leishman, Crawford, Wilson, McPherson, Stafford, Armstrong, Boyle, Lennox, Samson, Smith, Mason

Subs – Wardrope, Taylor, Park, Ballantyne, Fisher

Cumnock – Barclay, Sewell, Willett, Tart, McAusland, Frye, Wilson, McLaughlin, Boyd, Dolan, Rose

Subs – Carnwath, McLean, McLennan, Skilling, McBlain, McClure, Strain


Date Time Competition Season
April 17, 2023 19:30 PDM BUILDBASE WOSL PREMIER 2022/23


Team1st Half2nd HalfGoals
Auchinleck Talbot134

Auchinleck Talbot

# Player Position Goals Assists YC RC
6Gareth ArmstrongDefender0000
7Ali BoyleMidfielder0000
8Nathan Lennox 12Midfielder0010
11Ross SmithMidfielder2100
1Andrew LeishmanGoalkeeper0000
4Neill McPhersonDefender0000
9Keir SamsonForward1010
3Aiden Wilson 15Defender0000
14Ross Taylor 10Midfielder1010
10Aaron Mason 14Midfielder0000
5Chris StaffordDefender0000
12Michael Wardrope 8Midfielder0000
2Lewis CrawfordDefender0100
15Jamie Ballantyne 3Defender0100
 Total 4330


Position Goals Assists YC RC


Beechwood Park
8 Beechwood Ave, Auchinleck, Cumnock, East Ayrshire KA18 2AP, UK


Steven McDonald

League Table